Following the safety tips below may help to prevent fire or smoke damage to your home:
- Smoke alarms should be present on every level of your home and outside each bedroom. Change the batteries twice a year - whenever you change your clocks back or forward for Daylight Savings.
- Install a fire extinguisher in or near your kitchen and know how to use it.
- Create 2 escape routes in your home and practice them with your family. Establish an outside gathering spot so all family members can be accounted for quickly.
- Unfortunately, many fires occur around the holidays. Exercise caution with candles, keep Christmas trees watered and do not leave Christmas lights turned on for extended periods of time.
- Space heaters should have tip-over shut-off switches. Do not use too close to curtains, blankets or other materials that could ignite.